MonetDB is a high-performance applications in data mining, OLAP, GIS, XML Query, text and multimedia retrieval. MonetDB often achieves a significant speed improvement for SQL and XQuery over other open-source systems.
MonetDB achieves its goal by innovations at all layers of a DBMS, e.g. a storage model based on vertical fragmentation, a modern CPU-tuned query execution architecture, automatic and self-tuning indexes, run-time query optimization, and a modular software architecture.
Its major features include:
- High-performance database management system
- Multi-model system
- Column-store based database kernel
- Broad spectrum database system
- Extendable database system
- Database back-end is multi-threaded and guards a single physical database instance
- Operations are cache- and memory-aware with supreme performance
- Index selection, creation and maintenance is automatic
- Connectivity is provided through TCP/IP sockets and SSH on many platforms
- Could be Embedded
- Programming interfaces available in all major languages